View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Blue-S

engine mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
How long did the replacement take you?

Ed

I was done in under 2 hours including some time inspecting the car's undercarriage, but I had the use of a hoist. I used the directions from Pedro's website and they worked fine. There is a surprising amount of stuff in the vicinity of the mount, particularly in comparison to the front wheel drive cars I am used to working on. I have only had my Boxster for a week, and this was my first repair on the car. Fortunately/unfortunately, I made a discovery while under the car: the new, genuine Porsche water pump that the prior owner paid to have installed one year and 5,000 miles ago is weeping! I imagine that any warranty which may be in effect would only be for the customer who paid the bill. Dang!

The original mount on my car was broken much like the one pictured above. The center piece was free to rotate, so the powertrain must have been moving around quite a lot. I have noticed a light vibration at idle with the Pedro's enthusiast mount, but that's a small price to pay for a more durable mount that locates the engine better than the original design. In my opinion, Porsche really dropped the ball with this mount design. I can only assume that NVH control was their primary focus. The rubber mount itself is shockingly similar to the front mount on my '97 neon track car - both in size and design. The difference is that on the neon, the front mount only handles torque reaction while the weight of the powertrain is carried by a mount on each side of the vehicle. Porsche expected their similarly-sized-and-constructed front mount to carry load (including part of the engine weight) in the vertical and horizontal planes!

* 9x7 short shifter * Pedro's enthusiast mount * Carrera Ltw. wheels * Stebro bypass pipes
* M030 coming soon! *

Last edited by Blue-S; 02-01-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Blue-S is offline   Reply With Quote