View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #22
geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedude
Hi everyone, long time forum member, very picky Boxster shopper. I think I'm going to take the plunge. 2001 Boxster with 40k miles, ONE OWNER, maintained at Ray Catena Porsche in NJ. Silver with blue interior/Top. I could count on one hand the scuffs on the exterior! He was asking $15,900, I negotiated $14,500 since I would need to spread for the 45k service. Folks, I've been looking for over a year and I've never seen one in this condition. I know, I know, if it's what I want and am happy with go for it.

Is the consensus that those miles are NOT low enough to be a problem and is the price a good one? I think so. This one also has the upgraded S wheels, top liner inside, and the upgraded stereo with the rear speakers. He also deambered it with the Litron lights (dealer installed). He is throwing in the old lights and a Porsche car cover.

I will be using it as a weekend car and to supplement my daily driver since I have a long commute. 80 miles one way to work.

Any thoughts/advice/props/kudos will help to validate my decision as I'm getting that nervous feeling before taking the dive!

Paul
All '01 Boxsters came with the inside top liner.

Carefully examine all the interior "soft touch" trim. My '01 had most of the interior parts replaced by the dealer under warranty because the finish was flaking off - a few pieces multiple times. I think 2001 was a bad year for interior trim from what I can tell.

If the battery is original, expect it to die in the near future. Tires will wear out, and at 40K miles, a lot of people have to replace the MAF, AOS and motor mount. I'm still on my original motor mount at 56K miles, but have replaced the AOS (dealer under warranty) and MAF (easy, but intimidating the first time you access the engine). You will probably need to clean the throttle body in the next 10K miles. Depending on debris in the air, you might have to take the front bumper off and clean out the radiators.

If the car hasn't had an alignment for a while, plan on getting that done or replacing a lot of rear tires (check wear there). Also, check to make sure the brake fluid has been flushed every few years per Porsche service recommendation.

Other 2001 things to check: rear window - it will crack if not properly maintained. Rear bumper extensions - if faded, Mothers Back to Black does a good job making them look new. 2001 tail pipes are stainless and polish up nicely. Porsche changed the cigarette lighter dimensions in 2002, so if you plug electronics in, plan on spending $15 or so to swap out the original for a new style that fits better. If no OBC or cruise control, they can be added later but it's easier if the cars comes with.

You should get the Bentley service manual for the basic things

Read out the OBD2 codes to make sure nothing is wrong and readiness is set for all the systems, i.e., nothing cleared to get rid of CEL right before you get the car.

Even at $14.5K, if your engine explodes and you have to spend $10K for a factory rebuilt one, you still have a fantastic car - nothing even close for twice the price! My '01 hasn't had the original engine blow up - go figure! I tell everyone the longer I have the car, the more I enjoy it
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote