View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 06:32 AM   #17
heyjae

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
what header system would be "economical", retain some type of cat to avoid going off the charts for emissions, and actually make some power you could feel?

anyone in CA put on headers and PASS a real smog test? if so let me know what you're running.
I ran a headers similar to the design used by the cheap chinese headers on ebay with stock rear cats and passed smog twice. The second time, it was a PITA as my car kept throwing codes. I never figured out why, but it stayed clear just long enough to pass.

Now I have the NTP headers with Fabspeed rear cat delete. I haven't had to get smogged yet, so I don't know whether it would pass the sniff test. I'm still throwing codes, so there are other issues that I'll need to figure out this summer.

As for horsepower, you may or may not feel the difference, but you'll hear a mild difference and it'll sound like you making more power. Personally, for a daily driver I liked having headers with the stock exhaust and a cold air intake. There was more sound when you pressed on it, but it did not drone.

Now with the cheap chinese / Maxspeed muffler, NTP header and CAI, the car drones like mad at highway speed. Granted, I don't have any carpet or insulation inside the car right now, so it's worse in my car. I have a 2000 S, so YMMV.