View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
Kirk

#1 sounds like what I call "clutch judder" and I get it with one of my cars. It's probably from a worn clutch. I'm not sure if you can resurface the flywheel on the Boxster, but basically the clutch and flywheel sound like they're due for replacement or refurbishment.

From: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_makes_a_clutch_judder

Clutch Judder is caused by the clutch components and flywheel not meeting concentrically. The friction surfaces rub 'off centre' causing a low frequency vibration that is transmitted to the car via the engine/gearbox mountings and drive shafts. Causes can be

1) Mis-aligned clutch

2) Clutch wear/broken 'finger' springs

3) Condensation on the flywheel (usually happens on colder nights in which case judder should only last until the condensation has evaporated)

Case 1 will require the clutch to be re-aligned

Case 2 will require a new clutch

Case 3 may happen frequently on colder mornings, but judder will disappear 5 mins into driving.

Driving continuously with judder may cause damage/increase wear to engine and/or gearbox components. If judder persists take your vehicle to a garage as soon as possible.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914

Last edited by Kirk; 01-22-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote