Thread: Exhaust odor
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
FTD

When I had my lawn mower repaired, the service tech advised me not to let fuel sit for more than a month, and not to store more fuel in my gas can in the garage than I would use in a month - because of the additives in the fuels these days make it goopy and crappy as it ages and a month is about the breaking point. Rather than drain the tank or burn it all out, you can add something like Sea Foam to it. Your car will like it for various reasons and you don't have to worry so much about the one month rule. You can also put this in your gas can, lawn mower, boat, etc.

On a similar point, when I would 'store' my motorcycle for the winter, the guideline for not getting rust in the fuel tank was to either keep it filled to capacity when the bike is not being driven regularly, or to drain the tank and make sure no moisture gets in it during storage. I would guess that something similar to this would be applicable with cars, but I haven't looked at the owner's manual in this regard since its not in my world of concerns. If I did have a situation where the car was going to sit, I think I would keep the gas tank at capacity with Sea Foam additive. Others will probably tell me if this is valid or not for the Boxster.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote