View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
Brucelee

We will never have data on this issue so it is really a shot in the dark.

One thing we DO know is how expensive it is to recover from an engine failure. This is not true for all other cars but certainly, most of us blanch when we hear the tab on a used or rebuilt engine for our Box.

Since the car is tough to work on, most of us could not replace the engine ourselves so we have to add labor. Some of us could actually do an engine on a Miata or a Corvette I think.

I can tell you that the number of engine failures is MUCH higher than 100-200 in the Boxster run.

How do I know.? When I was dealing Porsches, I had a good buddy who was the svs manager at the local dealer. I mentioned to him that everytime I walked around the svs bays, I saw an engine/trans unit or 2 out of a car. He told me they did a new engine PER WEEK on average.

I didn't believe him but then I saw that he was serious. Whoa baby!

This same guy got the factory to eat half the cost on a 99 carerra engine in a car that I sold to some guy. At 66K miles, he was on the freeway and BAM, all gone.

Sad but true. Beautiful 911, one owner, great service records and the whole deal.

Where is the $1500 engine when you need it?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote