View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
Brucelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by greesedc
Just recently went through this "lifetime" discussion on my Audi A6 2.7t. Same drill with the "special tools", Audi only fluid, etc. I purchased the whole kit from a company in MN and they sent the filter, gasket, detailed instructions as to the proper filling level (important) and filling temp. Not being able to hook the car up to a proper computer to tell the temp of the fluid, I used the old electronic meat thermometer and bent the probe to go up and in the filler standpipe...(yes, this Audi fills from the "bottom" of the pan).

Two things. 1. The wife is still pissed about me using the meat thermometer.
2. The fluid that was in the kit was PENTOSIN ATF1 (made in Germany) and I priced it locally at about $15 per qt. I would bet a phenning that it is the same stuff that Porsche and Audi uses, probably even BMW, as was the gasket and filter. However, you should know your parts source before just buying off the internet.

Of course, the local Audi dealer said the trans was lifetime filled, but what else could he say. He said most failures that they see are in trans that were changed.
I'll also bet he ment "flushed", which can loosen some crud in the valve bodies and could plug something up that could result in a problem. Just draining and refilling must have been great for mine as it shifts perfectly smooth. The fluid that I changed was almost black at 70K and the filter was dirty too. The magnets were just covered with some lite sludge, as was the bottom of the pan.

'01 Boxster Tiptronic, 33K
I bought my son an 01 Audi 2.7T with 44K miles on it. The tip went bad at 45K miles.

Lifetime fill anyone?????

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote