View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
ekam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
i'm new to the porsche world - let me pose this question.

WHY does a boxster engine cost so MUCH????

I know that the engine is not as common as say the Honda civic engine - but it can't be any more rare than say.. a rotary RX8 motor?? and you can get a new rotary installed at the mazda dealer for probably $3000 parts AND labor. and a rotary is a fairly unique engine - and there are only so many places you can get one rebuilt....

there is NO WAY that it costs 5x as much to build a boxster motor than a rotary.

is Porsche just charging outrageous fees for the parts to make the motors, are they charging outrageous rates for the rebuild motors?

i know porsche parts cost more than honda parts - but at some point it becomes ridiculous.
$12k for a motor? how does a motor cost $12k when you can find all sorts of other engines that are equallyh powerful, ,similarly unique, similarly rare that cost far far less????

It's not like it's an F430 and there are only an extremely LOW number of them being produced PERIOD. The boxster, while not Honda Accord rare, is not exactly a "limited production" car...if you figure the M96 engine has been tweaked in various forms, but has been in the boxster and 911 over almost a DECADE - there must literally be thousands and thousand and thousands and thousands of them being made....

so back to my question - since obviously the cost of a porsche motor is horribly HIGH.. WHY is it so high? it's not because the engine is made of gold or anything like that... pistons is pistons.. parts is parts.

maybe Porsche ought to offer a "bailout" package for customers with blown motors...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat-6
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote