View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
23109VC

all of the above is true.

my dad wanted to sell his nicely optioned 2000 base. 70k miles. dealers offered him 8k.... .junk. car is VERYnice. i ended up buying it off him for MORE than that but for a very fair retail price.

before buying my dad's car I did my own search of cars and considered other boxsters instead of his - so I was constantly surfing autotrader and cars.com. i noticed most of the cars sat and sat and sat. VERY n ice cars just sat for months and didn't move. i called a few and some of the sellers were obviously distressed sellers who flat out begged me to come buy their car. offering to drop price, pay for PPI, etc etc just to get me to look at their car... i wound up buying my dad's car b/c it was a greatr deal and I knew the car's history, despite it not being an "S" which I probably would have prefered..for for my first porsche i'm in heaven.

bottom line - you will get crap from teh dealers. they know they can't sell your car and every month they keep it, they have to pay on it - their money is tied up in the car, so they have to account for advertising costs, reconditioning costs, and ultimately the cost to tie up money in it - and if they know it won't sell fast they need to account for all the carrying costs...which is why they offer you junk.

even in a good market you always get a crummy trade in offer and will always make more selling privately. i recently sold a nice high performance sedan - i got offered 15k at several dealers. i sold it privatley QUICK at what was LOW retail price and got 22k. and that was about two yehars ago before all the "crap" happened in the market....

keep it and enjoy it or sell it yourself but be patient and know that it's going to take a while to move it - or you will have to give it away. you will get more than 10k, but you won't be getting top dollar.

given how fun these cars are and how crappy the m arket is, unless you HAVE to sell it, it makes sense to keep it.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote