Thread: DME control
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
LB,

I don't disagree that replacing the battery now would be the smart thing to do. Especially if the choice was as simple as paying around $100 for a new battery versus reprogramming or replacing the DME.

I however think that is a false choice. I guess there is always a chance something could go wrong when attempting to get the front trunk open via power through the cigarette lighter or one of the other methods that I've read about. This thread was the first time I've read about a DME problem occurring while attempting to get the trunk open so it piqued my interest. I've read multiple examples of successfully opening the front trunk with power through the cigarette lighter without causing any damage.

I have a portable battery charger with a cigarette lighter option as well as traditional jumper cables and I wouldn't be afraid to use it if needed to open the trunk. If I ever get around to removing the front bumper I will make the emergency cable more accessible.

Thus far my 4+ YO battery still is starting the car strong despite the car sitting for 1 - 2 weeks at a time. I realize it could start fine one day and be dead the next. But as this point, I'm hesitant to replace the battery until I see some evidence that it is about to go. I'm just trying to be prepared if I get caught.

Thanks,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote