View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #13
limoncello

I think wet performance is more about tires than about cars or suspensions. The suspension will do it's thing as long as the tires have traction.

Tire choice: I think the Tire Rack addresses wet performance in their ratings. If you drive in water a lot, choose appropriate tires.

Safety note on Hydroplaning: Any tire, if the combination of speed and water depth are sufficient, will hydroplane. Use common sense. If it's really flooding cats and dogs, slow down.

Having said that, I drove my Boxster a couple of times on the track during and immediately after heavy southern thunderstorms with LOTS of rain. Tires were Sumi II's, well worn on the outside edges but good tread in the center: could not believe how fast I could go around corners without losing traction. But this experimentation was on a track, not out on the roads. When you do lose grip in the wet, you can lose it surprisingly quickly (said from experience)

My other car/daily driver's tires are at 30K now, so I take it easy in the rain (like we had this morning). When I get a new set in a couple of thousand, I can push it harder on the fresh tires.

There's nothing inherently risky about driving a Box on wet roads, as long as your tires are right and you use common sense.
A wet skidpad is a really great testing device.
Have fun!
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote