View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
Lordblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Chrysler was essentially still born when it was jettisoned from Mercedes, who in my opinion, stripped it of everything that gave it a chance to survive in its niche.

I have studied the Mercedes acquisition and dumping of Chrysler and it is IMHO one of the worst done mergers in the history of GLOBAL business. Am I overstating?

There are some very fine US built cars out there. I have driven the new Malibu and greatly prefer it to the Accord and Camry. Ditto the Aura.

These generalizations about the US car industry are being changed all the time. It is a very dynamic marketplace for cars right now and the world over-capacity of autos is staggering (likely 50% more than reasonable demand if all the numbers are tallied.
I agree, Mercedes pretty much destroyed Chrysler's business. Now Chrysler is probably the worst off within the big three in America (GM has several European brands to keep their business up).

I heard the new Malibu is quite good, and a lot quieter than the Camry. I told my dad to get the Toyota though because personally I don't trust Chevy in terms of reliability, and personally I think the new Malibu is pretty ugly, whereas I really like the new design direction Toyota/Lexus has taken.

There are a few stars in the American car market, the new ZR1 Corvette, the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice and the upcoming Camaro to name a few.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote