View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 06:33 AM   #18
coreseller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineteen89
How old were you when you decided you were going to buy a Porsche? How did you save up (traditional, hard work/saving--jackpot--lottery etc.) How long did it take and what advice can you give to someone trying to purchase one as far as the actual acquisition goes, besides the age-old "work hard and save as much as you can" I know that one, lol, and I know all about the maintenance and IMS & RMS, I'm talking more about how to go about actually getting one, I've been dreaming about getting one every single day for as long as I can remember, and I'm prepared to do it the old fashioned (savings) way, but did you do anything that helped you out or gave you a little boost that might help me?

I'm curious for finding out the previous questions as well, you can use this format if you'd like...

When did you decide you wanted one?
How long did it take to finally purchase it?
How old where you then, and now?
Is there anything you would have done differently?
Quick word of advice for a young person trying
to save for one?

I'd appreciate your guys' time for filling this out if you get a chance, or you can simply give me some tips, either way I'd be greatful, I might get some good ideas.
Nineteen89, I like your new pragmatic approach to a Porsche purchase....kudos.

When did you decide you wanted one?
About 5 to 6 years ago after divulging myself of the muscle cars I had purchased and restored for the prior 15 years.
How long did it take to finally purchase it?
6 months while researching and looking for the right car.
How old where you then, and now?
44, now 45.
Is there anything you would have done differently?
Not really. You will not have any regrets if you do your homework and make an informed rational decision, do not rush it.
Quick word of advice for a young person trying
to save for one?
Be ABSOLUTELY SURE you can afford the car and it's potential costs (repairs) BEFORE you pull the trigger. I know at your age the desire to own one can be all consuming (for me it was a Boss 302) but the financial repercussions of a hole dug with a depreciating asset would be hard to get out of. Do NOT throw all of your income at it, prepare for the future and the rewards down the road will be tenfold. Lastly, from a purely personal perspective, I could never finance a toy car, I've always bought my cars with cash. Good Luck.

Last edited by coreseller; 12-28-2008 at 06:36 AM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote