View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 09:49 PM   #1
kajita

tire balancing due to steering shaking

took my box to America's Tire Co. for a tire balancing. i went there cuz they were offering life time free balancing, flat repair, rotation (which boxs' dont need) for 69.99. but few surprises.

*they wanted to charge me 49.99 per wheel since it was 19". for one time balancing.
*they told me i HAVE to get "ride-match" balancing since it was 19". whatever that is.
*and that they can't offer that life time deal on my car since it was 19".

so i said what the heck, why not, do it. 3 minutes later one guys comes back and tells my rep guys and says "can't work on that porsche, its got a spacer".
so they deny to work on my car. (i have a 15mm hub centric spacer on the rear, got the wheels from a previous 996 owner) they said its their co. policy regards to liability issue.
by now i am pretty up set cuz they act like i did something bad by having original porsch factory spacers. to top it off this little greasy monkey even said " dude, why'd you put spacers?" and walks away. i am 35 but i look 25 so i am real sick of strange people (kids) calling me dude or man. anyhow, as i was about to walk out, and one guy says, if you didnt have spacers i would do it for you, so i told them my front dont have any spacers so they did that "ride-match" balancing.
that thing took 2 hours. i was watching them the whole time and wow, it was some maticulous balancing. i was glad the guy who was working on the wheels knew what he was doing and wouldnt quit until he got it perfect and i mean perfect. he must have taken off the tires off the wheel at least 3 time to make it perfect. he did such a good job so i tipped him $20. and i guess he was grateful so he goes back in the shop and tells his manager that the balancing machine is little off so i should get my money back (in front of 6~8 different customers) so i got refunded! so i got that ride match thingy for $20!! and my car drives awesome now. that thing is really worth it even if i had to pay 49 per tire. :dance:

Last edited by kajita; 04-11-2005 at 09:53 PM.
kajita is offline   Reply With Quote