View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
Bry

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
During the depression, some wealthy people bought outrageously ostentagious (sp?) cars. But many dressed and drove cheap in public to avoid the stigma of being rich.

While many of us know that the Boxster does not need to be an expensive car the general public think its very expensive. When my sister-in-law saw my new base Boxster she asked, "how much did that cost, $90K?" So we are "stuck" with a car that the general public thinks only rich people can afford. I suspect that as this recession deepens we will see more and more haters and more random acts of vandalism.
(emphasis mine)
I agree with you 100%, and like the word "ostentagious" ... It's a sort of wild outgoing enthusiasm, and it's communicable. That's how I try to live. Another car board I frequent has had an ongoing thread discussing hiding the car from friends and/or family, and I think they were about 50/50 split on the issue. I see these cars as a hobby, a fun outlet. I've always done my best to share the passion with others, and don't hesitate to toss my keys to a trusted family member, friend, or co-worker who has expressed genuine interest. I've even taken complete strangers for a spin on occasion. Rarely - only a tiny handful of times, but it still felt awesome - a test drive of one of my cars has become a new car purchase... Here's to keeping that ostentagious-ness alive!
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote