View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 09:36 AM   #17
Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
My car has some sort of Limited Slip device...

As stated prior, unless you have PSM then there is no LSD. The Boxster has an open differential. Here's a blurb on diffs I found:

The most commonly employed type of differential (because it is simple and thus inexpensive and durable) is the open differential, which simply consists of a series of gears. Provided that they have minimal friction and deflection, open differentials are an effective method of avoiding wheel hop of the driven wheels in turns. They do have some serious disadvantages, however; If one wheel is off the ground, then it will spin freely, and the other wheel will not apply any meaningful amount of power to the ground. Also, they tend to slip in wet conditions, which can be hazardous; When they begin to slip, they tend to continue to slip. Because the slipping wheel gets all the power they are not useful for off-road use, either.

I think adding an LSD will be as almost as good as adding the B&M short shift, in relation to the bang-for-the-buck ratio. I really can't wait to do mine.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote