View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #18
Jaxonalden

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Suggest looking at two potential problem areas:

1. Check the starter relay, they are known to develop internal voltage leaks between the high amperage side to the ground and other circuits inside the relay itself. You can test the relay by pulling it and using a multi meter if you have access to the relay's pin diagram layout. The relay is also easy to swap out.

2. Check the ignition switch, which is a perennial "weak link" in these cars. The electrical section of the switch is prone to failure, but fortunately costs about $10 and is an easy swap out. Problems with this switch are so pervasive that we normally carry spares in stock. You can obtain a replacement from several sources as the unit is also used in Audi’s and VW’s. May want to look up “********************************” in AZ, they usually have them in stock and reasonably priced. Do not go to the dealer for this, they are both wildly over priced and have started to sell the electrical switch section only with the entire steering wheel locking mechanicals.

Gee, I think I made that comment over two weeks ago. Paul called the actual fix at the same time, good one Paul!

BTW, I did talk to my personal mechanic and we got into a pretty heated argument, allot of name calling and accusations were thrown around. Then I realized I was talking to myself! About the battery maintainers, you obviously didn't read my post.