View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #16
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
About the drain I agree, if someone installs a bunch of aftermarket add on's and uses Jethro Bodine as their installer yes, your going to have problems by not properly wiring the circuits. I do not agree with you when you say the reason Porsche sells a battery maintainer is because of all the electrical gizmo's they have. I believe the reason is because a majority of these cars are driven sparingly. Only on sunny days when its not too hot and never in the winter. Those cars that are daily drivers I bet have the same reliability as any other ride out there.

Good discussion
While you are correct about daily usage, if you don't want to believe me about the level of current draw in a totally OEM car, I’d suggest you examine at the following:

1. For years, the owner’s manual for the car has contained language concerning problems with batteries dying if the cars are left to sit for a period of time (usually not defined), and some model years even brought up the use of a maintainer to prevent the problem.

2. There have been postings on several Porsche related websites concerning relatively new (often 2 years old and less) cars with premature battery failures that Porsche would not provide even prorated warranty coverage for the battery replacement because the cars were not driven regularly or stored with a maintainer connected as this behavior was contrary to the instructions contained in the manual.

3. Porsche is not the only marquee that suffers from this issue; examples of Nissan, BMW and others turn up in a quick web search.

4. If you were to simply disconnect your positive terminal on your car, and place a multi meter set on current between the cable and battery terminal, you would see a constant drain, the level of which is directly dependant upon the amount of OEM electronics (GPS, CD changers, audio equipment, cell phone, Bluetooth, alarm/immobilizer systems, remote entry, etc. etc.) the car is equipped with; you could also do the same experiment on any totally OEM vehicle produced since 1996 and would again find some level of current draw. You can also pull individual circuit fuses one at a time to see the contribution of each individual system. The more equipment, the higher the total draw………….like death and taxes.

5. Not everyone purchased these cars for daily transportation. Porsche recognized that and provides an available optional solution, a maintainer, as do most other OEM’s.

6. Talk to your personal mechanic, I’m sure he will confirm that this is a well known issue.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote