View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
Kirk

It's definitely a buyer's market right now. I'm personally keeping my Boxster forever, and ever, and ever... I love the car and have no plans to get rid of it. Now would be the worst time to sell.

If you really want something different, then just buy a different car and keep the Boxster. Who says you have to have one car only??? I keep my Box as a Friday and weekend fun car and then have a daily driver for the slog to work. With the market the way it is I'm looking at upgrading my DD and going to something nicer and newer. It helps that my DD is 21 years old and worth almost nothing, so I'm not really concerned about selling it.

As for future values and depreciation in the future, well that's a total guessing game. As I've been shopping for daily drivers I've been reading some other car forums for expensive, more exotic cars. It's funny to read their archives and how just two years ago folks were saying how their semi-exotic cars could not possibly depreciate anymore. Yet they have by 25% in those two years. Heck I was looking at an MB SLK350 used and saw the prices on those drop by 20% in just the last few months! Nobody really knows what the market is going to do, but right now it looks like it's continuing to go down (car values are going down that is). With no recovery in the economy within sight I imagine they'll continue to go down for now. If we hit a full depression, then car values on pricey semi-exotics and exotics will drop like a rock. Personally I'd hold off a little longer. I think that prices on Ferraris, Porsches, Maseratis, Mercedes, and Audis will continue to go down over the next few months. Highly desirable models like the M3 will hold their value better than Boxsters.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote