View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
RandallNeighbour

OMG. What an amazing weekend.

Saturday, I left the track lower than a snake's belly. I showed up thinking I would be at the head of my class and would easily impress my instructor with how much skill I already possessed.

NOT.

Sunday morning, I expressed my dissatisfaction with my skills with my instructor and he said I would certainly do much better the second day, and that I was no worse than any other of his first-time DE students. No better, no worse, just typical. He said, "Street credibility helps a little here, but often you repeat your bad habits on the track."

Yup. I was always looking at the pavement in front of me, never saw a flag or flag station for that matter, etc.! And day two was a LOT better. I saw flags when he saw them, I hit a late apex most of the time, I braked in the right places and hard enough and for the length of time required to begin the turn.

What I discovered was a good driver in a 2.5 boxster can make an average driver in a GT3 or Turbo look stupid. I even passed a Turbo a couple of times when they screwed up the corner and I didn't... of course, it was a guy's wife driving his car in green and he was in the white group.

I really scrubbed my PS2's though. I had a lot less rear tread than I thought when I posted this thread asking if I should use them. I need to put new rear rubber on the car before I take it out to drive the car hard again. I'm near the wear bars.

Here's some pix of a boxster I saw at the track... This car was LOUD and the driver was FAST. Of course, he was in the yellow or white group and an old track veteran.

I think I shall go back for the April or May DE and see how much progress I make.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote