View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #11
Kirk

For the other Boxster S owners on this board do you mind sharing how your engine failed and how many miles it had on it? It sounds like you had a broken piston. Did the piston really just crack? That's not a common failure mode that I've heard of on these cars.

As to what to do.... well you're in a GREAT position with the shop willing to drop in another engine for only $750. You DEFINITELY should get a replacement for your 3.2L. Why on earth you'd want another 3.2L though is beyond me. For just about the same money you can get an e-gas 3.4L which will fit with minor changes.

Personally I would call the national Porsche dismantlers to see what they have. Remember that now is a buyer's market, so don't be afraid to haggle and work a good deal for yourself. The economy is slowing down ALL business these days. I would recommend Silver Star Recycling in Sacramento, CA. I believe Oklahoma Foreign is good too. I know Silver Star compression checks their engines and will let you know how many miles were on it. Their engines also come with a 30 day warranty, so if it's a total dud you'll get your money back. I would bet that you can get a 3.2L or 3.4L from them for $4K to $5K (before haggling). Now on top of that you'll want to do a little more work while the engine is out of the car, like the water pump and clutch, so figure maybe another $1K in parts.

In the end, a used engine like this is going to be half the cost of a Porsche remanufactured engine or Raby rebuild, plus you get to keep your core (old engine) or sell it. I know you're concerned about the assurance of having somethings that's good, but at these costs I see it as a no-brainer. Buy a used engine and if it only lasts 5 years and you have to swap in another one, you're still just maybe breaking even with your other options, if not still money ahead.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote