View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
Kirk

I test drove one this last weekend. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. I'm looking for a daily driver coupe 2+2 with a decent back seat. I thought the interior on the G35 was very nice, great leather, and a good back seat for anyone 5'8" or less. The salesman actually rode in the back during my test drive. Even after 66K miles the model I drove looked totally brand new inside.

We took some twisty roads and the G35 handled beautifully, plenty of power and little body roll. I didn't have any trouble pushing it. But again I'm not looking for a sports car but a DD, so I didn't really push it like a sports car. I thought the ride was stiff without being too stiff. Acceleration and low end grunt were pretty good. I was in an automatic and it allowed you to really push the revs in the engine. Overall I thought it was a great car. Next I plan on test driving an Audi TT and Maserati Coupe GT.

I also test drove a Mazda RX-8 (again a 2+2 sporty coupe) this last weekend. I was completely disappointed. No torque, no grunt, nothing... I know these cars can really perform if you wind them out, but for daily driving under normal conditions I think the RX-8 would be pretty disappointing. Plus, even though it had lower miles than the G35, the interior was going to crap and looked well worn. I know that depends on the owner and how they care for their car, but the G35 was unquestionably much more upscale than the RX-8.

I'd like to see how the Audi TT compares and whether or not the rear seats are reasonable. With the hatch back on the TT it may be more practical. Also my better half wants an automatic and the TT comes with the option of their 250 HP V6 and supposedly amazing DSG transmission. If I have to go with an automatic there's a lot of appeal to me with the DSG based on reviews that I've read.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote