View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 06:46 AM   #5
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrblackbox
Saw a great deal on the Evo air intake on 6speed. Been thinking about one for a while, but, don't know if it is worth the work to install, and then possibly fouling the MAF. I searched here but didn' t get much additional info to make my decision. Anyone here sorry that they put one in?
I have used the K&N system on many other cars/bikes/sandrails before. I figured the EVO would be a simple way to improve the performance of my car with little or no downside. Here is what I have learned about the EVO intake on the Boxster so far. I was very surprised by what I found:

Pluses

The induction sound is marvelous.
It's a re-usable element that can be cleaned any time. Very convenient.

Minuses:
*Possible fouled MAF sensor from over oiling.
*Not smog legal on a street car in CA.
*Bumped me into a higher class (no longer street stock) for Auto-X and track events.
*In testing it was found to allow more air flow but also more dirt flow so engine life is shortened somewhat due to cylinder wear.
*PITA install requiring demolition of the stock intake.
*When tested by Excellence Mag. the Boxster actually lost power across the rpm range on both the dyno and elapsed time in 1/4 mile. Unless combined with high quality headers, exhaust and dyno tuned ECU the result is a slower car.

For me the costs far outweighed the benefits of adding the EVO. Everyone must decide for themselves what is important to them on their car.

Last edited by Topless; 11-13-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote