View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
RandallNeighbour

65 mph in 5th on the freeway isn't bad on the cabin resonance.

However, 55-60 in 5th is horrid because the revs are in that nasty 2-3k range.

I am about to yank off my Che muffler and put my factory muffler back on with bypass pipes welded on to give it a little more growl.

With the top down on a day I am just driving around back roads tearing it up, it's a wonderful setup. The howl at 6k is glorious and ear candy.

However, I have found myself doing far too much shifting to get away from the 2-3k area where I get headaches or actually suffer some temporary hearing loss if stuck in traffic for an hour or more. The extra shifting into lower gears is not only stressful, it's hard on the motor to be kept at higher RPM's than necessary.

All this to say that quieter is more important to me, my hearing, my level and number of headaches, and sanity.

Thank God I was given the muffler for free to test it out! I would be very unhappy right now if I had shelled out $500 or more for this thing only to discover it's great for the track, but not for any other time I drive my car.

I think I will go back to a modded factory muffler and go a completely different route when my motor blows and I replace it with a Raby 3.4 that's been bored out to a 3.6. I will need a 996 customized exhaust system then.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote