View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #16
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
so, quick Q on the clutch?
is it just pretty much ********************ty design that makes them go out that often or what? i never needed to replace a clutch on any of my cars...just curious. (talking manual, no that F1 flappy garbage)
Good question. I don't know the answer for sure, but I can guess. I don't think it's the design. I think it's more of an issue of how much power you're applying to the clutch. I think that Vipers and Ferraris eat through clutches quickly too. 385 hp on the Maserati is a substantial amount of power! You'll probably be tempted to do some hard launches, maybe smoke the tires a little. That's all extremely hard on the clutch. So if you baby it, it will obviously last longer, but that will be hard to do as the temptation to use the 385 hp to its full extent would be awfully strong.

BTW - I just test drove a Mazda RX-8 and Infiniti G-35 today. I'm pretty serious about replacing my daily driver with a 2+2 coupe. I was not impressed by the RX-8, but the G-35 was mighty nice with a really decent rear seat. I also got into the back seat of a Lexus (their sporty 2+2) and a Jaguar XK8... what a joke!

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote