View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 09:54 AM   #14
23109VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
I should also add that the price includes $100 duty fees for bring it across the border, plus ~$200 in taxes (13% in province of Ontario). Still, that's about $1300 or so, how did you get them for $1040 shipped???
First of all - that quote of $1600 was probably a marked up quote. When I first called the local Discount/America's Tire store and got a "quote" for a set of PZeros, they quoted me some outrageous figure - as soon as I told them what tirerack.com sold them for, they agreed to match it. or course they know if you buy from tirerack you pay shipping so they will add that in to the price match..i believe that came out to about $50 for the set of 4.

If you go straight to tirerack.com and search for the PZero System "N3" tire in the staggered size...you can put in the year/boxster with optional 18" tires and it will immeidately find the correct staggered size..and when you look at their advertised price it is $212/each for the fronts and $308/each for the rears. that comes out to $1036.

i thought i paid 1040..i must have forgotten that shipping was on top of that. so my bad on that.. shipping was about $50. So w/out looking at my receipt, I must have paid $1036 for the tires, plus $50 shipping - so I got billed $1086.

Still $1086 sure beats his $1600 quote.

I didn't buy them at discounttire - the local versio of America's tire b/c they wanted to also charge me CA sales tax which I did NOT pay by getting them shipped into CA from tire rack. that saved me $85 in tax.

the price to mount/balance/etc was about the same at the america's tire shop vs the little independent shop I went to...

bottom line - if you want to get it done quick/easy and ave money and go to ONE place to get it all done - hit your local america's tire/ big-0/ whatever - and just make them price match tirerack. they will give you the same price plus they add in an extra $50 shipping..b/c they know you'd have to pay that anyway... they then add their "fees" and try to sell you warranties and that other nonsense...but in the end figure another $20-30/tire for all the install/balance crap.

in CA you pay almost $85-100 in sales tax on an expensive set of 18"s....so I pted to ship the tires straight to my house. i put them in the ack o fmy SUV and have my wife follwo me to the tire shop. I had to drive the tires to the shop in a second car - but I saved at least $100.

if you buy them via the link through on my wifes website, you'd pay the exact same cost at tirerack.com $1036 for that set of tires - plus shipping - but the website that clicked you through - credits you 4% of the purchase price - which is about $40. you get that sent to yo in teh mail on a visa debit card. i alrady got mine.

honestly, i don't care where you buy your tires. just don't pay $1600.

the fortune website thign is something my wife got into - it looks like a neat business opportunity - clever idea, but I don't want to thread hijack.

shop online and find the best prices - you will easily beat the ridiculous quotes that most retial outlets will quote you. a lot of people shop for tires and just pay what they are quoted. they don't try to haggle. they pay way too much.

i've always either made the local shop price match tire rack or just had the tires shipped to my house and then pay a tire shop to put them on. i ordered the tires from tire rack on Monday, they were at my house by Thursday - and I had them installed Friday. my wife thought I was crazy to get so excited over 4 tires showing up to the house.

i tried to explain to her that it was like here buying new shoes... women don't get it. she said it made the garage stink.. i thought it smelled good. that "new tire" smell.

i stacked al four up and let my 6 year old stand in the middle and snapped a cool pick with the boxster int eh background.. i'll have to upload it later.

good luck. you'll like the tires. they are GREAT. I"m sure PS2s are good too, but my car had Pzeros before and I loved them - so i figured it it aint broke don't fix it, so I stayed iwht pzeros and could not be happier. the G's this thing will pull on turns is insane. I also have M030
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote