View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #20
Tool Pants

I have a 1997. There is a sensor before and after the cat. You need the one before. You do not need the one after. The one after talks to the one before to see if the cat is working. It was forced by the EPA to monitor cat efficiency.

If you disconnect the rear sensors the car runs fine, but you get a check engine light and you will not set all the rediness codes. This is important only for a smog inspection. I have had 5 inspections, every 2 years in smog-nazi California. Now they are going to put video cameras in to make sure the visual inspection is done. Here you would fail visual with bypass pipes, and not even go on the dyno. Some shops even have a floor mirror to see if the cats are there.

I have replaced the bank 2 after the cat sensor 5 times when I get ready for smog. I probably have a bad bank 2 cat and it is not the sensor.

Inspection #6 is due in a few months. What I am going to try is to reprogram the DME for a ROW car. ROW cars do not have the sensors after the cat. I have PST2 and the DME programming code. Then I will find out if the smog machine can detect the change.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote