View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 12:15 AM   #18
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques79
I think the Individual Throttle Bodies on the S54 M engine have a bigger role in the throttle response than a light flywheel.
I agree that there may be some effect but you have to take what the dealer totes with a grain of salt. They will tend to market features with high tech appeal and the things that are different from competitors over those that don't sound as cool, hence the reason they like to talk about the individual butterflies. The benefit of the individual throttle bodies is to bring the air metering closer to the combustion chambers but at the same time they significantly increase the pressure drop of the intake system as compared to an individual unit. Which negatively effects torque. They can't effect how fast the engine will rev, just how long it takes for the revs to respond to your inputs. And the difference between butterflies in the ports vs one just ahead of a plenum is subtle.

But it's absolutely the flywheel that has the effect on the engines willingness to rev and I suspect has the larger influence on throttle response. Put a heavier flywheel on a bimmer and both response and rev acceleration will be diminished. Put a lighter flywheel on anything and these things will improve.

Notice how much easier it is to kill a bimmer from a standing start, especially on a hill?

Last edited by blue2000s; 10-23-2008 at 06:06 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote