View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
KevinH1990

Replace or Recharge Battery

I have a 2000 Boxster. The previous owner installed a new battery in February 05. (He paid over $200 at the dealer.)

I have had to store my car temporarily while I'm having a garage added to my house. The facility I'm storing the car in does not have electricity available for a battery maintainer. I usually drive the car 3 or 4 times a week and average about 7000 miles per year. The previous owner only used the car on weekends.

When I visited the car on Sunday after not driving it for two weeks, it wouldn't start. I'm fairly confident that it is the battery since all I heard was a clicking sound and the lights on the dash were dim when I turned the key. So, I popped the front trunk and came home. The light in my front trunk doesn't work due to a faulty switch, so I don't think leaving the front trunk unlatched will cause an additional drain.

Here's my question. Should I replace the batter or recharge it? I won't be able to bring the car home for another two months, so realistically I may only be able to drive the car once or twice a week. I'd hate to put a new battery in and have it discharge. On the other hand, my experience is that once a battery lets you down, you can't rely on it.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote