View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
986FortyEight

Found oil in the spark plug housing?!?!!

I hope someone has an opinion on this. Today I changed all 6 spark plugs with brand new Bosch plugs from Pelican parts, for the first time on my own. I diligently followed the steps documented in the Bentley and I did read many other "how to's" posted on various forums such as 986forum.com.
Imagine my surprise when a bunch of engine oil came out with the coil pack that's the closest to the front of the car, on both sides. The inside of the coil pack tube was free of oil but the outside was bathing in it. I did my best to absorb it with shop-towels and proceeded with replacing the spark plug anyways (perhaps a mistake in retrospect).

Upon completion of the task, I started the car to find that:
1-some more oil burnt off upon starting
2-Idle was a little erratic and after a few minutes settled somewhat but at least one of the pistons sounded like it was irregular, probably misfiring.
3- after 200 yards of test driving the engine light flashed a few times and then decided to stay lit.

I know that if a cylinder misfire the engine light is supposed to come on. I will go back and redo the entire procedure tomorrow to make sure I did not omit anything (but I torqued the plugs and ensured all connectors "Clicked" in place).

Finally the question: where can the oil be coming from?
What is the risk to the engine of me driving (to my mechanic - 10 miles) with at least one cylinder misfiring?

Any input appreciated!

Concerned Michael