View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
RandallNeighbour

Despite marketing hype from many LED bulb resellers on eBay, I've read in numerous places on this forum and the web that these blue replacements don't last nearly as long as the amber ones Porsche supplies.

Same thing goes for silverstar replacement halogen bulbs. They burn out very quickly.

This isn't much of an issue if you are willing to tear your cluster down and your dash bits apart when these LED's burn out prematurely. Me? I like to do things once and forget about it.

What would be very interesting would be for you to come back to this thread and indicate just how long the bulbs lasted before you had to replace them. Hopefully, it won't be anytime soon, but if they do go out in 6 months or a year, that would be great historical data to include on this thread for those who read it in the future and want to know the downsides to changing factory long-life amber bulbs for blue ones off eBay.

BTW, I have given this mod a lot of thought because my Alpine aftermarket head unit has blue LED's... I was too cheap to buy a model that allowed for a display color change at the time. I think I'll buy a new head unit that displays amber before I redo the whole car in blue and risk premature bulb failure.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote