View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
MikenOH

Garage
Extended warranties

I started my quest for an extended warranty on my 06 a few months back and approached my local dealer on the topic. They offer a warranty (AKA,, service contract) "administered" by Fidelity warranty services out of FL.

What bothered me about the pitch was that it was represented as a Audi/ Porsche backed warranty administered by Fidelity. AS I read the fine print, this is a Fidelity warranty and the Porsche dealer is just peddling it like any other aftermarket product--no PCNA involvement at all. You pay your money to Fidelity and they decide to pay or not pay the claim; the dealer and Porsche are out of it. Also, read the fine print of what is covered--there seems to be a lot of things that could fall through the cracks regarding what gets covered.

Finally, do a google search on Fidelity; the one I did turned up a lot of ugly stuff regarding claims that weren't paid.

To my eye, third party service contracts are a big crap shoot; too many ways for you not to be covered after you've written a check. Ford sold me a policy on my 04 explorer--backed by FOMOCO--which has paid roughly $4k in claims in the past 2 years and never a question was raised. BMW also offers an extended warranty directly through BMW.

Why doesn't Porsche?......good question. Go back to the people selling these warranties and find out who gets your money and who administers the claim; if they are the same, keep moving..
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote