View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
Jake Raby
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
What are you doing to try and accomplish this?
'No oil changes and zero maintenance..

I also drive the car for 2-3 miles at a time in second gear at WOT against the rev limiter, do purpose hard down shifts at redline and sometimes just hold the throttle against the floor in neutral for 5 minutes at a time.

The car runs better now than it did when I got it last year and started using it as a test bed. I have been thoroughly disappointed with my ineffectiveness in scattering this engine! I am a serious parts breaker, it's how I put food on the table.

I'll post some data logs this week that I have gotten with 28 channels of data acquisition.. Next month our developmental Turbo system will be installed on the stock engine to see what fails first, how bad and when. I need to blow it to bits by January to keep the Turbo specific 2.9 engine installed on schedule for testing so it can be released in Summer 09.

Here, engines are consumables and knowledge is power.

Most of my clients that experience failures do so with their wives driving the cars or in regular low speed driving, lugging these engines has proven to kill them.. Those that are raced and otherwise abused have the least failure rates... There has only been ONE engine failure in the Spec Boxster competition class, those cars are bone stock and driven hard as hell!

And don't try to blow your engine up under warranty.. It's not fair to Porsche or to your car... The replacement engine they give you won't be as good as the original.

Porsche can count every over rev (so can we) and they'll void that warranty in a heart beat if it's been hard on the rev limiter for any amount of time.

My car is a tool, it's no different than our dynos or any wrench in my tool box. It is here to help us learn more about the M96 engine than anyone else ever has. That means breaking lots of parts and experiencing as much as possible as often as possible under extreme conditions that our clients would never replicate.

Last edited by Jake Raby; 10-12-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote