View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
Jacques79

Post Really interested in 2008 M Roadster, but...

My local BMW dealer has great offers on leftover 2008 M Roadsters.

I always loved the power on these small roadsters; great engine that pulls ridiculously hard above 5000RPMs all the way to 8000. Kind of like an S2000 but with 3X more of a ''push in the seats'' sensation.

I went to my BMW dealer yesterday to test drive a nice red M Roadster. The salesman let me go alone on my test-drive, which I decided was going to last 45 minutes

I really love the M Roadster and just wanted to confirm that I prefered it to my 2000 Boxster S. After all, with 80 more HP, how could I not?

The engine's a screamer with great low end throttle response and a sensation that the engine will never run out of power no matter what gear you're in. It starts pulling very, very hard at about 5000RPMs. The throttle response with the sport button on it amazing, and when I let off the gas above 5000RPMs and then pressed it back down again you get pinned in your seat like crazy.

As much as the Boxster S engine is smooth and ''delicious'', the M Roadster has a violent, rev-happy screamer of a beast that feels like it's going to explode the more you approach the redline.

Aside from the power, another thing that I liked on the Bimmer was the turn in response: the steering is quicker on the M Roadster than on 986 cars. I think the 987 Boxsters have quicker steering than 986 though...

But about 15 mins in my test drive I litterally already started to miss driving my Boxster S. The BMW felt more ''wobbly'' with more body roll. I could also feel the front end of the car lift a lot during acceleration and then squat when braking hard.

The shifter was better than a stock 986 but not as good as a Boxster with a Porsche short shift kit. Not as precise and short.

Steering feel was a big one here. The M Roadster's steering was much lighter and gave my hands a lot less feedback as to what the front tires were going through as road conditions changed. It felt ok but not as natural as a Boxster.

Clutch feel was also inferior to my car. It felt too light and the engagement point was not as easy to detect as in the 986. I guess it's good for traffic, but just like the steering, the Porsche just has better ''feel'' if that makes any sense.

When I got back into my Boxster every control felt so HEAVY! The steering, the clutch, the shifter, the brake pedal all felt so much heavier with better feedback. I felt like I came back to a proper sports car again after driving a normal car.

And while the Boxster S doesn't accelerate as hard as the M Roadster, the sounds coming through the cabin are much, much better. Above 4000RPMs the Boxster S has a glorious and rich intake-exhaust note which makes you feel like you're driving a car worth 3X the price. The M Roadster has a great sounding engine, but the exhaust note isn't as unique.

Overall I came away from my test drive appreciating my Boxster S so much more, because I truly love the M Roadster and really wanted to get one, but it doesn't compare in the ''feel'' department...

I guess I'm screwed now, because if I want to change cars and get a better roadster that can be driven every day, what options other than a new Boxster S or a Carrera convertible do I have?

I normally change cars every year, but my current one is making it tough on me to find a replacement under 40 000$....

A 2002 911 cab might be the answer
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote