View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #13
RandallNeighbour

I believe her comment, which was completely inappropriate by the way, was meant to mean:

"It's a waste of a perfectly good sports car to give it to an immature kid your age."

Now before you get pissed at me, keep reading!

1. She probably sees a lot of students come into the office, driving MUCH nicer cars than her lousy administrative assistant salary can provide. <--Pure Jealousy.

2. She probably thinks that the car was given to you by your rich parents who have chosen to spoil you instead of act responsibly and give you a sensible and safer car to drive back and forth to school... AND you will trash it out because you didn't work hard to buy it and don't respect the things you are given. <-- Ignorance, but true so much of the time.

3. She probably thinks the car is easily a $50k+ car today and doesn't know it's worth less than most 2-3 year old Toyotas on your school car lot. <-- typical thinking from an uneducated consumer.

When I was in high school, I knew kids who had BMW 3 series and Mercedes coupes. Their parents spoiled them and the kids had a very strong sense of entitlement. They were arrogant and elitist snobs for the most part.

I'm sure you are a great guy who is friendly to everyone and earned the money to buy your relatively inexpensive boxster (compared to newer Japanese cars on your school lot).

However, it does not change the stereotype or perception. You must never forget that others (regardless of age) will assume your parents bought you that $50,000 sports car and you are a spoiled brat who feels you deserved the car because you wanted it.

You will have to work overtime to help people see this isn't the case. It's not fair that you have to do this, but alas, you still must do it if you don't want nasty comments made about you and the beautiful car you drive.

At 46, I am asked how I can afford a Porsche as a minister. I ask the person how much they paid for their wife's new minivan or SUV and I tell them, "You could buy THREE cars just like mine for what you paid for that Toyota Sequoia last year."

That shuts them up.

Just don't tell them your car requires $2-3k a year to keep rolling
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote