View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
Tomikaze
Porschephile

1st DE with my Boxster... blowing smoke

After 7 years track experience with Miatas I tracked my 03' 2.7 yesterday for the first time. Car needs stickier tires than the stock Michelins. It would benefit from a slight suspension upgrade and my stock brakes were toast at the end of the day. The latter might be due to old(er) brake fluid but better pads would really help. With that being said... the car was a blast to drive. PSM made me look like a hero out there. I enjoyed the safety net it provided even if it robbed me of a few seconds each lap.

Right before my second 20 minute session a buddy noticed that I got a small puff of smoke out off the exhaust when I started it up. Didn't think much about it until I started the car before my 3rd session of the day and I got more smoke. About 4 or 5 seconds of thick grayish smoke and then it cleared up. Like she was clearing her lungs. Car ran fine. Car sounded fine. No CEL's. I did notice my oil level drop a bit through the day. I can understand consuming some oil but I added a 1/2 quart just to get the bars on the dash gauge back up to "normal". Each time the car sat around an hour between sessions. No smoke on track. Just at start-up. Please tell me this isn't a sign of impending doom.