View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 05:29 AM   #19
Jake Raby
Engine Surgeon

Jwade,
The beauty of our program is that no longer is an engine conversion the only way to enhance reliability and performance.. The conversion engines also have their share of issues and can fail in their own ways... None of the M96 engines are totally bullet proof from the factory.

Lots of people are worried by what they read and they should be. NO CAR is immune to these issues, no matter the mileage! In fact, it seems that cars that are driven easy and taken care of will fail MORE than those that are well taken care of and driven harder! Very seldom does any engine fail at a DE or on the track, most happen in city driving.

I am working on an article and DVD now that will outline what a Boxster owner should know about troubleshooting, diagnosing and engaging with preventive maintenance to note IMS issues before they create failures. The truth is that sometimes these things go "pop" with no warning at all and not a single symptom... Kind of like a Brain Aneurism.

The only way to absolutely avoid the issues is to update the IMS when you have the time and money, along with the cylinders, oil system and the 13 other issues we have taken action to solve/ prevent.

You may be like me and may have gotten a really good engine that won't scatter even if you try... I have been trying to kill the test car for the past year with total abuse and neglect, but it runs better now than it did before... Thats even after driving it 2 miles at a time against the rev limiter and not doing any service to it at all, just observation.

Look for the article that Excellence did on our program and the M96 engine issues. It will be coming out in January 09 and details lots of the modes of failure and how they are being addressed.... Very informative.

Owning an M96 powered Porsche (as factory) is like playing Poker, every time you turn the key you are dealt a new hand.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote