View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #16
Jake Raby
Engine Surgeon

Exclamation

The new engines will also have their issues.. Any "new" engine developed in todays world with less than adequate practical application and high mileage usage and observation will take several generations to perfect... As the factory solves one issue they create 2-3 more.. The manufacturers are also always fighting the accounting department, no portion of the company has more power than accounting- not even Engineering.

The factory can't "fix" the IMS issues on the old engines without serious expenditures... The way they look at it, the **majority** of engines make it through warranty and thats all they care about- just the first owner and making it through warranty.

Our billet IMS would cost MILLIONS of dollars for Porsche to implement in large production runs, thats not the case with our small production runs of engines that are updated and have the issues remedied.

If the factory saves a Nickel on every part that saves them millions of dollars.... This is not the 1970s and no manufacturer is concerned with more than taking money and making it through the warranty. Your loss is their gain.

I have seen a couple dozen different modes of failure and now things are starting to occur that weren't a couple of years ago, or last year.. Now we are seeing rod bolts break right out of the blue on stock engines.. The worst part is the rod has to be thrown away because its non-rebuildable. This will continue as fatigue, age and wear take their toll.

My engines use the least possible Porsche parts.. Soon we'll be able to build an entire engine and only use Porsche seals, gaskets and chain tensioners...

As for warranty, don't put much stock in it... I have customers who have had 2-3 failures and the warranty didn't pay for all the parts and labor. Read the fine print!
The warranty doesn't keep the engine from failing, more than anything it gives a false sense of security that you won't have a problem- not true.

I have put my effort into eliminating the issues that create the failures that lead to warranty engagement. I have several people who came to us simply because they were tired of the red tape, fine print and BS associated with the "warranty".
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote