View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #140
RandallNeighbour

My 300/400 setup, set at the softest setting, is just a bit rougher than stock struts and springs.

I just sorted out the installation tonight, actually. My mechanic didn't tighten down one of the top nuts on the rear driver's side strut mount (loose a 1/4 inch) and the center nut was a little loose too. Tightened both and it stopped the rattle and banging I heard while going over every bump.

BTW, if you install these, double check clearance between the coilover and your rims and tires. Before I set my rears to 25.75 inches from ground to wheel well, they were rubbing my 18x10 aftermarket Carrera lights (from wheel dynamics) just a little. Fortunately it was only rubbing on the rubber perch base on the coilover, not the spring or perch rings. My 7mm spacers are now mandatory to keep the tires and rims from rubbing in the back. I suspect they're needed in the front too.

Then, because I replaced 3 of the 4 control arms (the ones with ball joints) and all four of the other control arms (that connect to the ball jointed control arms) and installed new rear adjustable toe arms, I had some serious rubbing problems with those stinking dust shields behind the rotors. Took me forever to get them out of the way so I didn't have a very loud, tinny, ticking noise when I made U turns (from metal whacking against the holes in my cross-drilled rotors).

Having all four wheel bearings replaced at once is a real treat! The car coasts silently and finally, oh joy! I do not have steering wheel vibration any longer! After buying new tires repeatedly and having road-force balancing done more times than I can count in the last four years, I solved a vexing problem.

Now, I must wait a week to get an alignment. My mechanic said he'd do it for free if I waited until next week, so I will be patient and save $$$ to let him do it when he has time.

The car feels so very different now, but I think I hear some noise coming from the springs clattering a bit over certain kinds of bumps. The adjustment knobs are really loose in the back and cannot be removed like the front ones. I might just tape them down to see if that's what's causing the clattering back there. Everything else seems to be bolted down nice and tight.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 09-28-2008 at 04:50 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote