View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #22
Frodo

I think I pretty much agree with what’s been said. And reading this thread, I’ve definitely learned a few things that I didn’t know before. I do, however, admit that (generally speaking) I tend to be a one-hand driver, always have been. For one thing, driving a manual transmission requires this much of the time. Secondly, I am more relaxed one-handed, and (as was stated in another thread recently) a relaxed driver responds more quickly and in a more appropriate manner to a sudden change of circumstances. As I say that, I admit I have never tracked the Boxster (or any other vehicle). Under those circumstances I am sure I’d have both paws on the wheel whenever possible. That applies equally to street driving when something out of the ordinary is happening (or can reasonably be expected to happen momentarily). But I just find it tiresome having both hands at 9:00 and 3:00 (or anywhere else) on the wheel all the time. For me, it's too much like being on High Alert continuously---it would just wear me out and make me less ready to react than I would otherwise be.

I’ve driven like this since the early ‘70s and this is a technique that has worked well for me. And believe me, in 36 years behind the wheel I have had m a n y circumstances where I’ve had to react quickly.

Maybe subconsciously I fashion my driving on Harrison Ford in American Graffiti. A distinct possibility…

AND…I DON’T need to be reminded that HE was the one who crashed his car! (His problem there: He was showin’ off for the babe.)

Which brings up another interesting, semi-related topic: I find that I am not as good a driver when my wife (who, unfortunately, is not a huge fan of riding in the Boxster) is riding shotgun. It’s weird, because I actually slow down and drive more conservatively when she’s in the car. I think it has to do with the fact that she drives a Toyota Sienna and seems to think (maybe subconsciously?) that it’s dangerous to push any vehicle beyond the level that she pushes the minivan (which ain’t much). So I find myself driving the Boxster more like a miniature school bus when she’s in the car, and that’s TOTALLY unnatural. A maneuver that is in the least spirited or aggressive (I sort of hate to use that word, since I don’t inconvenience---let alone endanger---other drivers in the process of doing what I am talking about) gets her into the hyperventilation mode, sometimes even making those scary noises that passengers sometimes make when there’s real, honest-to-goodness close-call taking place. And THAT makes things even worse, because for that millisecond I’m under the terrifying impression I’m about to be blindsided by some vehicle I hadn’t yet seen (because, as it turns out, it doesn’t exist!). It's just exhausting driving the Box when she's a passenger. Fortunately (for both of us) that doesn't happen all that often!

Anyone else a victim of this phenomenon??
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote