View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #7
blinkwatt

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo23dog

Sorry Blinkwatt, I have to disagree with you on this one. We just had a thread about engine failures at

Shortlived Boxster engines survey

This thread showed about 25 failed engines and of these, 20 were 2.5/2.7L engines. The failures were either slipped cylinder sleeves or IMS failures. The reported MYs ranged from 1997 though 2003 and the mileage reported at time of failure was all over the odometer, some with low miles, others with 60K plus miles. No real pattern.

For the 5 or so 3.2L S model engines that failed, there was no real pattern on the odometer reading when the failure occurred either.

At any rate, with thousands of Boxsters produced, hearing about 25 with failed engines in one thread tells me only one thing... there's not much data here to make a statistically reliable judgment about any of it.
Read the original post again,the original poster said IMS failures,not cylinder wall failures.

Cylinder wall failures tend to happen to 98'-99' 2.5L,IMS tend to happen to 00'+ 3.2L. Cracked heads have also been an issue with 3.2L,not not anywhere near as bad as IMS failure.

Yes there is a common pattern with these engines,most engine failures on M96 engines happen at 60k or less mileage unless you name in dennis from PPBB where it happened around 65k. Poor guy has had at least 2 engine failures on his Boxsters.

Make friends at shops,track meets, everyone who works on these cars,talk to them,they know there is a problem. I have a friend who was a mechanic at Niello Porsche that said he wouldn't even touch one of these cars off work. He said he sees way too many repair bills for engines costing over $15k.......

Last edited by blinkwatt; 09-20-2008 at 12:33 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote