View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
twinaviation

Garage
Everybody interested in testing and removal of alternator.
I have found two things of imortance that needs to be mention:
1. During removal I have found that WD40 will help to remove alternator out of seating. It seats pretty tight in thereeven after removal of both bolts. Twisting alternator from bottom toward up will definetelly be only way to remove alternator and you will have to wiggle it inside in order to get him out completelly.

2. After removal and getting toward AutoZone or Kragen or Pep Boys you'll be suprised to know that there is no machine calibrated for 2002 Porsche Boxter alternator that could actually check alternator if operational condition. Apparently Porsche using Bosch alternator that for some reason does not provide information for testing machine. So you will have two options:
Reinstall alternator in order to check if alternator is operational OR
Drop alternator for an auto alternaor rebuild places and asked them to test unit before rebuild if needed. That's exactly what I did, and alternator was in reality was OK, after being tested in Kragen and pronanunced BAD.
Reinstalled alternator, make sure that you tight bolts on back of alternator with electrical red and black wire (that can crete problems if loose) and put connector tight.

The best of luck
twinaviation is offline   Reply With Quote