View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
Cloudsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefarious986
It maintains pressure under heated use much better than regular oxygen. Less checking & maintenance plus some minor stuff with better mileage since your tires are always 'perfectly' inflated.

I could fill it with air, but considering I got this car 8 months ago (directly from Porsche, filled with Nitrogen stock I think ) and haven't need to deal with tire pressure, I would like to keep using Nitrogen.

I called a few local shops though, and they had no idea where I should go so I thought maybe a fellow P owner might know.

I think one suggestion from somewhere was Costco. Will check tomorrow. I'll let you guys know.
As have been pointed out, "normal" air is 72% Nitrogen. Your tires are not filled with Oxygen. I HIGHLY doubt your tires came filled with Nitrogen from the factory, or dealer for that matter.

To get into the technical side of this, we use Nitrogen in aviation due to its inert nature, on the ground here, particularly in a street car, there is practically no benefit. Maybe if you can get your tires filled for free, sure- go for it. But if you're going to pay a premium, its ridiculous, and yes, it's a fantastic profit center for any tire shop.

If you wanted to have "Nitrogen filled tires," you would first have to evacuate the air using a vacuum pump, and then pressurize with Nitrogen. I am sure no tire shops are doing this. Now, for remote reservoir shocks, its a requirement- again due to Nitrogen's inert nature, so that's a different situation.

Long story short, I would not worry about. Just use air, though preferably dry air.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote