View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
Air is 72% Nitrogen. There is no good reason to use pure Nitrogen for tires. Sure there are reasons, just none of them are good enough to justify the cost/hassle.

1) Nitrogen does not expand as much as it is heated as air which results in more even tire pressures but to such a small degree as to not matter (1 - 2 psi)

2) Nitrogen does not oxidize tire insides as much as air. True, but the cost of N2 fills is greater than the increased tire longevity.

3) Its terminally tech-cool. True, you got me there :-)

4) Nitrogen tire fills are a great profit maker for tire shops and dealerships interested in wallet lightening of the clientele. True, you got me there :-)
I had a tire expert tell me that you have to have a certain percentage of Nitrogen to make any difference [98%?], which requires filling, deflating, refilling to get that percentage - unless you have a big honking expensive machine that does it, which he doesn't think Costco or anyone would invest in. I bet you could explain this better. And I think he said the benefits has mostly to do with leakage, which also requires consideration of the tire walls? Feel free to embellish here as well. So, overall, its a marketing attraction.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote