View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 05:30 AM   #7
jbox53

my ignition nightmare

I placed this on an earlier thread but I feel compelled to relay this information again.
It was the ignition switch for me which caused the stater to clash for a short time. The switch travel started getting sloppy, starting sticking. It wanted to remain spring-loaded to the "first detent position", door bell remained on when key was removed, I had to push it to the off postion to remove.

Beware of replacing the electrical portion of the ignition switch only. I read that some have had good luck with replacing just that part...not me.
I started out buying that part from autozone (previous threads) and it wound up being the mechanical portion of the assembly in front of it. I couldn't get it started, had to have it towed to Porsche (thought I activated the immobilizer) and Porsche stated the mechanical portion prevented the key from reaching the full travel to activate the starter. $277.. later all is ok. Porsche asked how I was able to just buy the electrical part since they only can get the whole assembly. Their experience is that it is always the mechanical assembly that causes the issues.
btw, it took them 3.5 hours to remove.
For jollies I have a Durametic tester and ran the fault codes. I had to clear the "immoblizer" fault after I got home. To me the immoblizer did kick in.
And that's correct, it's a real pain in the butt to just remove and replace the electrical portion of the switch assembly. Good luck.
jbox53 is offline   Reply With Quote