View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 03:36 AM   #6
skip_168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster44
Used separate battery to open hood. Found that the battery's plastic lid was cracked all over, but seems to have contained the damage to the area below. The battery was shattered. Pieces everywhere. I carefully pulled the battery out and started dumping baking soda on the areas that had collected the most acid - several pockets. The battery tray had contained a great deal and it foamed up with the soda for over 5 minutes.

I can't tell if any damage to all the wiring in there. I ended up sprinkling the area with soda and found many areas that had droplets attached.

Now - why? I have had a Porsche cigarette lighter maintainer for several years. I use it all the time. The battery was original and almost 6 years old. I tried getting a new one recently at Costco, but they didn't have any group 10s, so I thought I'd wait until they did.

Just wondering if my maintainer isn't working properly and 'overcharged' the battery? Can that happen? - overcharge = explosion?

thanks,

kj
The battery or system is probably not at fault for the explosion.. the battery puts off hydrogen while charging normally, they all do.. the two things you need to blow up is the hydrogen in a sufficient concentration,(trapped), and an ignition source.. I would check your cable ends & connections to make sure they are tight. any loose connection will arc when under a high current load, such as starting. Or more commonly, when aftermarket stereo doods start tapping off the battery...

Also, make sure the little vent tube is in place.....

And buy a decent battery.. like an interstate.. they all work, but the case vent & drain system on the interstate batteries are excellent. I have always seen the cheap batteries leak........

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote