View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #22
986FortyEight

Vinyl Wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
How durable would it be over time, after repeated washings, sun fade/shrinking, scratching, etc.

What would it do to the paint underneath, aside from non-equal paint fade witrh the rest of the car?

Those may be things to consider.
I am in he business of vinyl wraps and I would also recommend to be careful with vinyl wraps, full or partial. Make sure the installer is using good products: 3M, MacTac on full wraps and probably Oracal on cut vinyl. Ideally you want the vinyl to be laminated to increase longevity and you want to avoid pressure washing against the seams. finally and most importantly, no vinyl on suspect paint areas (road-rashed...) and EXPECT TO REMOVE THE FINAL AFTER 3 YEARS max!!!
We just removed a full wrap done 4 years ago on an Avalanche and we are now waiting for the claim adjuster to come and estimate the damages due to the poor paint job which lifted off with the vinyl... not pretty...

I am contemplating a full wrap for my 986 but I will probably go for something more Racing oriented like the paint job on the attached pictures... still working on the design though.

Good luck with the project!

Mike
986FortyEight is offline   Reply With Quote