Thread: Boxster vs. RX8
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #17
limoncello

If you have a lead on a Boxster, go for it.

I had a speed yellow 2001 - undoubtedly the most beautiful car I've owned. Loved it.
Own a 2006 RX8 now - like it as well.
Here are some thoughts -

Track - I've run both cars 4 times each on the track. After adjusting to each car, the track times were almost even, with a second, and we were using stop watches not a more sophisticated solution. The RX8 is quicker than many people think. They are very different driving experiences though, so depends on what you like.

Note: the 2006 manual came stock with the sport suspension and limited slip diff - always a plus.

Street driving: Nothing tops cruising in a Porsche. It has an the un-definable something. Having said that, over near equal ownership periods I have put twice the mileage on the 8 than I did on the Porsche. As a hardtop, I just seem to take it out more often, don't know why.

Reliability: Safe to say that neither has a Lexus badge on it. Hey, they're sports cars. RX8 did get a new engine at 5500 miles, but Mazda was decent about it, gave me loaner, cost nothing, and I've had no problems since.

Both were 3rd cars, used when I wanted the driving experience. Got the obligatory daily drivers (hauler and sedan) for commuting.

At the end of the day, I'm glad to have owned both. I'll probably part with the 8 before the warranty goes away. After that, who knows? Cayman sounds fun, it's a Porsche, a Boxster, and a coupe all in one!

Good luck with whatever you choose. But as I started with - if you have a good line on a known Boxster, go for it, I don't think you'll regret it. There's always more time later for other cars...
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote