View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
edevlin

Thanks for the info, I love playing with dynos and seeing what kind of numbers others are getting. 223hp at the wheels means you are making about 262 at the engine assuming a 15% drivetrain loss, which is about how much we lose in our cars.

IMO, those are actually some good numbers, especially if you have a oxygen sensor that is acting up. That represents a 12hp increase for just a full exhaust upgrade. Now get an ECU tune and probably pick up another 15-20 hp.

A lot of folks write about big hp increases with out cars, and some post dynos to support out their opinions. I think they are the rare, lucky ones. My experience has been that its hard to get much more hp out of these cars with normally-asparated motors. My best dyno run on my base 2000 boxster was 210hp, which works out to about 247hp at the engine.

But, and that is a big but, I have done about everything that can be done to my 2.7L. Full intake, full exhaust, custom ECU tune, lightweight flywheel and I still only see a 25-30hp increase over the 217hp stock tune.

In hindsight, all my engine mods have been so expensive, it probably would have made more sense to just do an engine swap. But, this little 2.7L really runs like a dream, and with the lightweight flywheel, its very responsive. I also like the mileage it's getting.

As I posted on another thread, I drove 1500 miles in the last 3 days, running at 75mph on interstate 95 with the top down. I averaged about 28.2 mpg for the trip. I dont know how many 3.2 or 3.4L cars see that kind of mileage with the top down....

Keep up posted if you do another run,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote