View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #15
lapis986

my final decision...

for what it's worth i thought i'd update the forum readers on my decision. So many reviews, so many different opinions and perspectives. I went to tire rack and did the side by side comparison, actually called them to discuss my objective- a longer wearing tire that still offered good grip and wet traction. Thought i was locked in on the Nexen 3000's, but the fronts don't come in my size
I went to my local PCA meeting, sat at the table with some legitimate racing guys with lots of years behind the wheel and asked them their opinions. several recommended the Kuhmos, and the sumitomos.

So here's what I learned-
there really are no high mileage tires for the 986.
One good source said you'll always burn up rear tires on mid engine cars about twice as fast as the fronts.
regardless of the tire, you are lucky to get 20 K miles out of a rear tire on these cars.

So my decision was to go with the Sumitomos HTRZ III's. 4 tires installed was $550.

I plan to get another 20K miles on the rears, and will have a few extra dollars in the bank since the Michelins were more than twice as expensive. I fully understand that I will have somewhat lessened performance, but this is a daily driver car that sees about 30 K a year. New shoes makes a big difference! Thanks to everyone for their recommendations.
lapis986 is offline   Reply With Quote